Thursday, August 28, 2008

Back in the US

It has almost been a month since our last night in Beijing. Here in Rochester I have been asked by alot of people I know how the trip went. Every time a new person asks me how it was all that I can say is that it was "amazing" I don't think that many words could sum up our entire trip. So many amazing things happened and I don't know how to explain it all. The day after I arrived in Rochester my family and I went to Michigan to see my cousins. The change between here and Beijing was very drastic. When I arrived in Michigan I was so happy to see my family but at the same time I started to realize how much I was able to connect with the people from DC but also how much I enjoyed my stay in China. Living with 9 new people in a different country you would think would be a hard thing to adjust to. But I believe that was not the case with the DC and Rochester people. We all got together very well and started a long lasting relationship with each other that I believe will last a very long time.
During my stay in Michigan we stopped at a fruit stand, and another family that was there was speaking in Chinese, I was amazed that even though I had only been home for 3 days I have already been able to hear Chinese being used around me. When I told my mom that the people next to us were speaking Chinese she said "really, I didn't know". I think that this moment proved to me how much more I am going to achieve and how much more I am going to be able to learn in life knowing Chinese. I know that even the day before I left for China I would have been oblivious to the fact that the people next to me were speaking Chinese.
I would like to thank every one that contributed either in a large or a small way to bringing our group of 10 students to China. This opportunity for me would not have happened at all if it was not for this organization.
Thank you so much for believing that a teenager from Rochester Ny would be able to grow from being in China and for opening up my eyes to what I will be able to accomplish in my life.
-Julianna Turner

No comments: